Neck pain can be a result of external injury, improper sleeping posture or excessive stress experienced by the muscles in the neck. If you're having neck pain, chances are that you'll be experiencing the limited movement of the neck, sleepless nights and severe pain.
Neck pain can sometimes be chronic, which means that you're suffering from it for a long time, or acute, where the pain is quite recent but severe.
What could be the common causes of neck pain?
- Mental stress: Stress is one of the main causes of neck pain. The stress experienced by a person is felt in the physical form of pain in various parts of the body. This can cause the muscles and joints to tighten, thereby inducing pain in the neck, shoulders and upper back.
- Fatigue and physical stress: Working continuously for long hours would often lead to physical stress. This is due to the fact that the muscles of the body experience fatigue and are drained of the energy. This could lead to pain in the neck.
- Physical trauma: Any injury to the neck and the surrounding regions could induce neck pain.
- Holding the phone between the head and the shoulders: This has become a common practice lately. It would often exert excessive pressure on the muscles of the neck and cause them to strain, thereby leading to neck pain.
- Improper sleeping positions: Sometimes, we experience a sharp pain as soon as we wake up in the morning, which wasn't present the previous night before going to bed. This is due to faulty sleeping positions, which could often lead to acute neck pain.
Can acupuncture be used to treat neck pain?
Acupuncture treatment, along with Chinese medical massage and cupping is found to be the best cure for neck pain. A trained acupuncture specialist establishes a customized treatment plan to suit your condition, which depends on the region of pain, the severity of pain, the cause and also the present medical condition.
When it comes to the process, acupuncture treatment involves the insertion of fine needles on specific points of the body. The acupuncture specialist carefully inserts the needles in place to revive the flow of energy, or commonly called as 'Qi', in the body. This helps in relaxing the muscles in and around the neck, thereby reducing the pain. Stagnation of Qi can often lead to stress, pain, and lower energy levels. Acupuncture effectively restarts the flow of Qi and helps in speeding up the healing process. It also improves the flow of blood, which helps tone the muscles and relieves pain.
Another healthy benefit of acupuncture is that it activates the glands of the body to release the body's 'feel good' hormones. This, combined with traditional Chinese medicine and massage, is the best way to relieve both chronic and acute neck pain.